Kids Fitness Programs | Barrie YMCA
Fitness Classes to Keep Your Child Fit & Healthy
A variety of activities including active and creative options, Y Kids weekly programs may include but is not limited to the following activities:
• Art: Our arts and crafts programs provide you with opportunities to explore and discover your inner artist. We will use many different media and supplies to give opportunities to experience something new, while building a thirst for knowledge in the surrounding world.
• Basketball: This program provides the opportunity for children to develop passing, dribbling and shooting skills, while learning the rules of the game and playing in a co-operative and supportive setting.
• CATCH Games: CATCH, the Coordinated Approach to Child Health, promotes physical activity and healthy choices through participation driven play. This interactive gym program introduces our young members to recreational activities and helps to establish a foundation for active living.
• Floor Hockey: This program provides the opportunity for children to learn the fundamentals of ball handling, shooting and passing, while learning the rules of the game and playing in a cooperative and supportive setting.
• Jump Rope: This program provides a fast paced, play driven atmosphere where children can explore various games and activities using just a skipping rope.
• Living Library: This program provides a safe environment for children to learn and play in a character driven environment. Get ready for some of your favorite characters to come to life.
• Parachute: Parachute is a fun and educational way to incorporate physical activity with discovery, colors, basic physicals and group play.
• Soccer: Indoor Soccer is a great opportunity for children to learn the great game of soccer while developing basic motor skills.
• Yoga & Movement: This program provides the opportunity for children and youth to develop through their mind and body. Yoga and movement is the balancing act of flexibility and strength, connecting the mind with the body through a participation and play driven atmosphere.
Outdoor Explorers: Your child will experience nature and seasonal wonders through outdoor activities. Weather permitting; each class will include a different outdoor activity such as snow art, nature collages, bug hunts and fall colours. Please ensure your child is dressed appropriately.
This program provides youth with the knowledge and guidance to comfortably and safely use the YMCA Wellness Centre. A YMCA Wellness Coach will review safe equipment use and help set up a fitness program. (Each level is a five week program)
• Level 1: Cardio Training
• Level 2: Strength Training
• Level 3: Advanced Strength Training (optional)
JR. CHEFS (age 6-12) REGISTERED $
Participants will learn basic nutrition, make a snack, and learn how to be safe in the kitchen.
CHILD MINDING (age 0-12) DROP IN
Child Minding allows parents and guardians the opportunity to participate in YMCA programs and services while their children are cared for in a safe, welcoming and social environment. Child minding is included in a Child’s or Family’s membership.
GYMNASTICS (age 3-12) REGISTERED $
Girls and boys will enjoy fun, fitness, and the fundamentals of gymnastics while focusing on 4 core fitness measures: flexibility, endurance, balance and movement. Gymnastics is a partnership with the Barrie YMCA and the Barrie Kempettes.
TAEKWONDO (age 6+) REGISTERED $
This Korean art form focuses on the conditioning of the body with emphasis on flexibility that enables students to learn and develop the Taekwondo techniques. Students will learn hand and foot techniques along with patterns, self-defense and sparring.
TODDLER TIME (age 2-5) DROP IN
Participants will have the opportunity to learn gross motor skills through creative movement, crafts, storytelling, and hands on activities. Toddler Time is a change for little ones to experience programs without their parents for the first time.
Students will participate in a variety of dance and movement exercises from choreographed phrases to guided improvisations. Our focus is on exploring elements of dance such as space, time, energy, weight and dynamics, learning movement skills through imagination and stories. The Creative Dance Program aims to develop each child’s expressiveness through movement. Creative Dance is a partnership between the Barrie YMCA and Simcoe Contemporary Dancers.
Art helps young minds grow! Classes ignite creativity and form a lasting love of the arts. Fun inspiring classes that may include painting, drawing and sculpture.
Parent, bring your little ones to play inside during the cold months. Meet your friends, enjoy a coffee while your kids play together in our indoor playground. Parent supervision required.
Improve strength, flexibility and coordination. Children will learn how to focus with various breathing and visualization techniques. They will also learn self-respect and respect for others with the practice of fun and challenging poses, partner poses and group poses, lots of yoga games, breathing and basic anatomy.