Barrie YMCA Healthy Active Schools
Goal of YMCA Healthy Active Schools:
To advocate healthy active lifestyle messages to schools, the community, and school boards through: education, collaborative discussion, action plan development, and sharing examples of success.
Health Topics Include:
• Healthy Eating
• Physical Activity
• Bullying Prevention
• Personal Safety and Injury Prevention
• Mental Wellness
Benefits to Schools:
• Minimal time requirements
• Connects to School Board and family of schools
• Ready-to-use resources: offers the tools schools need to be successful as determined by schools
• Improves delivery of daily physical activity and health-based initiatives
• Contributes to building healthy communities
• Identifies and links to community supports
• Employs a holistic approach to health promotion
• Uses a strength-based approach
Link schools, in a leadership/mentoring role, within Family of Schools’ communities. Provide education about the benefits of healthy eating and physical activity. Offer supports to keep people/schools motivated.
Review existing models supporting physical activity in schools (Healthy School Recognition Awards initiative – Ministry of Education, Active and Safe Routes to School, and Daily Physical activity)
Thanks to our community partners, supporters and funding organizations:
• 2007 – 2010: Funded by the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka, the Heart and Stroke Foundation SPARK grant, and the Simcoe County District School Board.
• 2010 – 2011: Funded by the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka, the Ministry of Health Promotion’s Healthy Communities Fund, and the Simcoe County District School Board.