February 3rd, 2017 by Rob Armstrong
Building Healthy Communities:
Looking back on a successful 2016
With 2017 in full swing, it’s exciting to see the impact we continue to make on our community through all of our programs and services. In 2016, we opened doors, inspired youth, and strengthened our association. Today, more than ever, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka’s mission continues to focus on Building Healthy Communities – where people look to us for support in their efforts to improve their lives.
Here are some highlights from 2016:
Supporting our Community
- Last year, over 800 people swam, ran, biked, and walked to raise funds for Move to Give helping My Y create access to camp, child care, fitness and aquatics programs for over 6900 kids and families who couldn’t otherwise afford it. This year, we hope to see even more members of our community come out and support such a great cause!
- My Y launched the Healthy Hearts Cardiac Rehab Program in partnership with the Royal Victoria Hospital. In just seven months, 55 people invested 900+ hours improving their quality of life.
- My Y and Lakehead University launched a new leadership development program. Together, we’ve trained 70 leaders from 29 organizations.
- Last year My Y connected 431 youth to jobs by offering free job coaching services to the community.
- 12.5% of young adults in our community didn’t graduate from high school. Last year 250 youth earned high school credits through My Y programs.
- Nearly 30,000 Syrian refugees have settled in Canada. Locally, My Y welcomed Syrian refugee families with open arms. We even taught swimming lessons in Arabic.
Thank you to all who are helping us build healthy communities!
- 135 Community Partners
- 1,200 Staff
- 3,800 Donors
- 1,000 Volunteers
Our future is bright and our opportunities are endless. Throughout 2017, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka will continue to work hard to lead our community as experts in health, fitness and youth development. On behalf of the entire YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka staff, thank you for your continued support!