December 17th, 2015 by Rob Armstrong
YMCA supporters from across Simcoe County, Muskoka and Parry Sound came together to celebrate the YMCA and raise vital funds at the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka’s inaugural Spotlight Gala: Illuminating The Potential of Youth, on November 20th at the MacLaren Art Centre in Barrie. Through the generosity of the 140 guests in attendance, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka surpassed the fundraising goal for the evening to help support youth in our communities and highlight the resiliency that burns bright in youth overcoming barriers.
Reaching the YMCA’s Ultimate Goal… Together
The YMCA’s ultimate goal is to empower children and youth to develop the skills and support needed to become contributing members in our community. Through the YMCA financial assistance, the YMCA remains accessible to all. Last year, with the help of our donors and supporters, here’s what we accomplished together:
- $1.2 million in YMCA financial assistance enabled 6,705 individuals and families to benefit from YMCA activities
- $162,980 raised through YMCA fundraising sent 378 kids to camp
- $156,064 in donations supported families with kids in YMCA Child Care
- Helped youth launch 62 small businesses in Simcoe/Muskoka and helped 60 youth gain meaningful employment in Barrie and Orillia
- YMCA Youth Justice Program served approximately 150 youth who were on probation, helping to decrease the likelihood of re-offense
- Helped high school students in Simcoe County receive 245 high school credits through the YMCA aquatics and camp leadership programs
- With 6.9% of youth between the ages of 18-24 in Ontario having a gambling problem (twice the amount among adults), the YMCA Youth Gambling Awareness Program provided gambling education and prevention to over 1000 youth
We are overwhelmed with the generosity of our Board, our gala sponsors and everyone who attended the Spotlight Gala. The YMCA is so much more than just a place to work out. Y programs are transforming lives of so many youth in our communities and the support of this event will enable the Y to continue to be a place where youth can learn valuable life and leadership skills, get the chance to meet new friends, build confidence and make memories that last a lifetime.
On behalf of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka, I want to sincerely thank you for your continued support and send you best wishes for a safe holiday season and a happy and healthy New Year!