English as a Second Language Instructor
JOB TITLE: English as a Second Language Instructor
LOCATION: YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
DEPARTMENT: Learning Services – Huntsville
PLACEMENT: Part-time contract, 12 hours per week, January 2017 to June 2017
ABOUT THE YMCA OF SIMCOE/MUSKOKA:
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka currently serves over 125,000 people in Simcoe County and the Districts of Muskoka and Parry Sound in Central Ontario. The YMCA is one of the largest charities within our service area, providing over $1.1 million annually of support and access to our programs and services.
With a staff complement of 1200+ full and part-time staff, combined with over 1,000 volunteers and donors, and an operating budget of $39 million, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka serves over 30,000 annual members and participants through its eight membership centres in Barrie, Collingwood, Gravenhurst, Innisfil, Midland, Orillia, Parry Sound, and Wasaga Beach; 3,000 Child Care families across a number of communities; registers 5,000 day campers in addition to 1,000 overnight campers at YMCA Camp Kitchikewana on Beausoleil Island; over 15,000 people through leadership development, outdoor education and family programs at YMCA Geneva Park; and counsels over 20,000 people in several community development programs.
As our Mission Statement affirms, “My Y is dedicated to the growth of all persons in spirit, mind and body, and to their sense of belonging to each other and the global community.” Our Vision for the future is “My Y inspires people to reach their full potential.”
The YMCA Learning Services provides literacy training to adults 19 years and over in the Huntsville area. The goal of the ESL program is to guide eligible learners toward proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing in the English language. The instructor will provide individual and group classes and will report to the Program Coordinator. This program is expected to begin in January, 2017 and conclude on June 30, 2017. This term position has the potential to be renewed in July, 2017.
• Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada.
• Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka.
• Plan and provide instruction to ensure learner progress toward CLB 6
• Develop lessons with a focus on life skills and workplace English
• Employ a broad range of appropriate teaching techniques and strategies
• Maintain accurate records of learner progress
• Provide a supportive and positive learning environment
• Work closely with the Program Coordinator to determine ESL needs within the community and plan appropriate programs to address these needs
• TESL or TESOL certification
• Superior organizational and communication skills
• Knowledge of developmental stages of second language acquisition
• Experience working with multi-level adult learners
• Teaching experience in an ESL or LINC program
• Clear Police Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
• Mandated training (including AODA, Workplace Violence & Harassment, Health & Safety Awareness, Child Protection, etc.) is required before or shortly after commencement of work
Qualified candidates who wish to be considered are invited to send a resume and cover letter to:
YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
Applications will remain open until January 16, 2017.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources department.