Fitness Instructor Training, Courses & Certification
Nationally recognized as leaders in fitness, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka offers a variety of programs to meet the needs of all! Whether you’ve been participating in group fitness for years, or are looking to further develop your leadership skills, or maybe even looking to change your career path, the YMCA is the place for you!
Become a Certified Personal Trainer with YMCA’s Fitness Instructor Training Program
When you become a certified fitness instructor with the Y, you can expect:
- The highest quality of standard
- Training sessions offered twice per year
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- Annual instructor observations by a YMCA Trainer
- Recertification process every 2 years
The YMCA offers an exceptional learning environment with lots of interaction and practical learning. Each participant will be mentored by an experienced instructor and provided ongoing communication with their facilitator throughout the duration of the training.
Prerequisites for Fitness Certification
To become certified, you must:
- Be at least 16 years of age at the time of certification
- Possess a valid CPR certificate
- Have at least 50 hours of participation in group fitness classes (while recommended, this is not mandatory)
Already YMCA Certified?
Here’s how you can recertify your YMCA Fitness certification:
- Complete a practical observation by a YMCA Trainer
- Obtain 16 continuing education credits every 2 years (1 hour = 1 credit)
- Holders of 2 fitness designations will need to provide proof of 50 hours of class instruction in the last 2 years
- Holders of 3 fitness designations will need to provide proof of 75 hours of class instruction in the last 2 years.
- Provide a valid CPR certificate
Contact your local Y to speak with the Supervisor of Fitness & Individual Conditioning for more information.