Job Posting – Lifeguard/Swim Instructor
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Part-Time Position)
YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
PLACEMENT: September 2011
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka can trace back its roots more than 100 years. Currently, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka serves over 60,000 people in Simcoe County and District of Muskoka and Parry Sound in Central Ontario.
With a staff complement in excess of 700 full and part-time people, combined with more than 3,000 volunteers and donors, and an operating budget of $24 million, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka serves over 19,000 annual members and participants through its seven centres in Barrie, Collingwood, Innisfil, Midland, Orillia, Parry Sound and Wasaga Beach.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka has 56 licensed YMCA Child Care Centres providing services to greater than 3,000 families, making it the largest Child Care provider in the region. Over 45,000 day campers and 800 residence campers register in our summer programs. More than 15,000 people are served through leadership development, outdoor education and family programs at YMCA Geneva Park, and staff counsels over 20,000 people in several employment centres and programs across our region, including Huntsville and Parry Sound. Newcomers to our area receive guidance in settling into their new life in Canada, through our YMCA Newcomer Services program.
Our YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka works hard to ensure children and families have the tools, the knowledge and the services to remain healthy and safe. The YMCA promotes positive health messages and opportunities for children and their families to live healthy and active lifestyles.
As our Mission Statement affirms, “The YMCA is a charity that excels in strengthening our communities by providing opportunities for all to grow in Spirit, Mind and Body.” Our Vision is to be recognized as the community leader in lifelong health and personal growth.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Reporting to the Supervisor, Youth and Aquatic, the Swim Instructor/Lifeguard is responsible for the front line delivery of high quality instruction and service and administrative duties as required for report cards.
• Monitors the safety of all activities and programs, responding immediately to rectify any safety concerns.
• Participates in all scheduled programs, including guarding, instructing lessons, and in-service training.
• Continuously builds relationships with all of the members, staff and volunteers. Assists in coaching and development on an on-going basis.
• Models appropriate behaviour in line with our Mission, Vision and Values; establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship building behaviours with members, volunteers, and staff.
• Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner. Maintains a positive and professional approach and image with members, volunteers, staff and community partners.
• Must be visible, approachable, and maintain a strong presence while on duty.
• Maintain current qualifications as required by the position.
• Be available and flexible to work days, evenings and weekends.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• YMCA Instructors
• LSS Swim Instructor
• Current NLS, CPR and Standard First Aid Certification
• Proven customer service and communication skills
• Current Criminal Reference Check
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA
Child and Youth Focused: Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth.
Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the YMCA.
Concern for Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Planning and Organizing: establishes a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long term work goals.
Quality Focused: Ensures that YMCA programs and services are superior.
Initiative: Does the right thing at the right time without being asked.
Service Orientation: Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance each and every person’s YMCA experience.
If you are interested in this position please send a letter of application and résumé by October 2, 2011 to