JOB TITLE: Supervisor, Child Care
LOCATION: YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka – Penetanguishene, ON
PLACEMENT: Immediate, Full Time
ABOUT THE YMCA:
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka currently serves over 125,000 people in Simcoe and Muskoka Counties in Central Ontario.
With a staff complement of 900+ full and part-time staff, combined with over 1,000 volunteers and donors, and an operating budget of $33 million, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka serves over 30,000 annual members and participants through its eight membership centres in Barrie, Collingwood, Gravenhurst, Innisfil, Midland, Orillia, Parry Sound, and Wasaga Beach; 3,000 Child Care families across a number of communities; registers 4,000 day campers in addition to 800 residence campers at YMCA Camp Kitchikewana on Beausoleil Island; over 15,000 people through leadership development, outdoor education and family programs at YMCA Geneva Park; and counsels over 20,000 people in several employment centres, including Huntsville and Parry Sound.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka has 72 licensed YMCA Child Care Centres providing services to greater than 3,000 families, making it the largest Child Care provider in the region. Over 45,000 day campers and 800 residence campers register in our summer programs. More than 15,000 people are served through leadership development, outdoor education and family programs at YMCA Geneva Park, and staff counsels over 20,000 people in several employment centres and programs across our region, including Huntsville and Parry Sound. Newcomers to our area receive guidance in settling into their new life in Canada, through our YMCA Newcomer Services program.
Our YMCA works hard to ensure children and families have the tools, the knowledge and the services to remain healthy and safe. The YMCA promotes positive health messages and opportunities for children and their families to live healthy and active lifestyles.
As our Mission Statement affirms, “The YMCA is a charity that excels in strengthening our communities by providing opportunities for all to grow in Spirit, Mind and Body.” Our Vision is to be recognized as the community leader in lifelong health and personal growth.
The Supervisor will be directly responsible for the overall operations of the YMCA Child Care, St. Ann’s. They will provide guidance, coaching and supervision to the staff, volunteers and families ensuring adherence to the YMCA Mission, Core Values, Vision as well as all legislative requirements set forth by the Ministry of Education, County of Simcoe, Public Health, and Fire Chief.
• Demonstrates strong commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka.
• Demonstrates thorough knowledge of the regulations and operating standards of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka, municipal and provincial governments and ensures centre is run in accordance to these directives.
• Orients, trains and supervises all centre staff, students and volunteers.
• Maintains all administrative and financial systems of the centre, ensuring required reports are accurate and completed to established deadlines.
• Develops and sustains good working relationships with provincial and municipal authorities.
• Develops and sustains excellent working relationships with members of the community.
• Oversees and assists staff in curriculum implementation in agreement with YMCA Playing to Learn Curriculum.
• Gives leadership to and works with centre team to implement and adhere to Parent Communication Standards.
• Develops and sustains good parent relations on a daily basis acting as a model for all staff.
• Gives leadership to and works with centre staff to maintain a well-organized, safe and clean Child Care facility including playroom, playground, washrooms, cubicles and equipment.
• Gives leadership to monthly staff meetings and provides individual supervisory sessions as required.
• Is willing to share resources and assist other centres as requested.
• Supervises the initial entry of each child into his/her child care group.
• Sustains an understanding of each child’s individual development, ensuring that appropriate, individual programming has been implemented by teaching staff.
• Ensures that the program takes a holistic approach to child development.
• Ensures the regular implementation of program evaluation tools.
• Other duties as assigned.
• ECE Diploma or equivalency from the College of ECEs
• Registered with the College of ECEs
• Up to date first aid and CPR training
• Clear Police Reference, including Vulnerable Sector Check
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
• Minimum of 2 years experience in the ECE Field
• Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the associations
• Teamwork: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness
• Creativity and Innovation: Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help us achieve desired results
• Flexibility: Ability to readily modify the program and or staff behaviour in order to satisfy the needs of participants providing that safety requirements are met
• Concern for health and safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction
• Commitment to Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and an appreciation for the mission, vision, values and strategic outcomes
If you are interested in this position please send your cover letter and resume, by 4:30pm on September 22, 2012 to:
Child Development and Family Support Programs
YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka