Local Job Postings
Join Our Team
Assistant Manager of Camping and Outdoor Education
Location: YMCA Geneva Park, Orillia
Department: Camping and Outdoor Education
Placement: Full Time
Closes: March 2, 2018
About the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka:
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka currently serves over 125,000 people in Simcoe County and the Districts of Muskoka and Parry Sound in Central Ontario. The YMCA is one of the largest charities within our service area, providing over $1.1 million annually of support and access to our programs and services.
With a staff complement of 1200+ full and part-time staff, combined with over 1,000 volunteers and donors, and an operating budget of $39 million, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka serves over 30,000 annual members and participants through its eight membership centres in Barrie, Collingwood, Gravenhurst, Innisfil, Midland, Orillia, Parry Sound, and Wasaga Beach; 5,000 Child Care families across a number of communities; registers 5,000 day campers in addition to 1,500 overnight campers at YMCA Camp Kitchikewana on Beausoleil Island; over 15,000 people through leadership development, outdoor education and family programs at YMCA Geneva Park; and counsels over 20,000 people in several community development programs.
As our Mission Statement affirms, “My Y is dedicated to the growth of all persons in spirit, mind and body, and to their sense of belonging to each other and the global community.” Our Vision for the future is “My Y inspires people to reach their full potential.”
Reporting to the Manager of Camping and Outdoor Education, the Assistant Manager of Camping and Outdoor Education provides leadership to two program areas; the summer (July –August) Leadership Experience and Adventure Progression Program (LEAP) and the Adventure/Leadership Program (September – June). This position will also support the summer Family Camp program as needed. This includes, but is not limited to the development of safe, values-based programs that build assets in children, youth and families, the hiring and development of program staff and delivery of all aspects of the program.
Specific Duties and Functions:
The following duties are typical for this position. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada.
Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka.
During the summer months this position supports the Leadership Coordinator in the delivery of the Leadership Experience and Adventure Progression Program (LEAP).
This position will provide support to the Family Program as needed.
Actively promote the summer LEAP Program registration during the non-summer months.
Provide direct leadership and support to the adventure/leadership/family programs (September – June).
Hire program staff for the Fall, Winter and Spring seasonal program contracts.
Develop and facilitate staff training for all adventure, leadership and non-summer family programs.
Schedule staff for the all adventure, leadership and non-summer family programs.
Perform HR duties such as staff on-boarding and payroll approvals.
Working with the Conference Services and Sales team, develop program schedules based on each group’s goals and needs.
Develop and share user group pre-arrival information/confirmation packages (pre visit emails, packing lists, schedules, guidelines, etc)
Support user groups onsite to ensure their needs and expectations are met. Communicate daily with group leaders/teachers fostering a positive relationship and rapport.
Designate a group lead should there be multiple groups onsite or when the Assistant Manager of Camping and Outdoor Education is not present.
When needed, support programs in a front line program staff capacity.
Assist with the recruitment of new user groups to Geneva Park and the development of new program opportunities.
Provide leadership to the program contribution to Geneva Park’s social media strategy.
Adherence to all provincial and federal legislation relevant to job description.
Ensure that staff are working in a safe and fair workplace environment according to all provincial workplace legislations.
Ensure that Ontario Camps Association standards and YMCA Ontario Camping Quality Recommended Practices are met in the LEAP and adventure/leadership programs.
Support the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka Camping Department programs and initiatives as required.
Support’s the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka’s Annual Fundraising Campaign.
Other related duties as required.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
- Post-secondary education Bachelor of Education, Outdoor Recreation, Recreation Therapy or Adventure Based Leadership
- Strong public relations, marketing and communications skills.
- Quality service training and experience.
- Experience delivering ABL (Adventure Based Learning), experiential activities and initiatives
- Knowledge of the outdoors, leadership theory and team building concepts
- Understanding of all relevant standards and legislation regarding the safe and appropriate operation of an outdoor/leadership center and summer camp program.
- Strong work ethic with administrative skills.
- Level 1 Challenge Course Practitioner (Spotted Only)
- Standard First Aid with CPR C/AED certification.
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR)
- Canoe Tripping Certifications
- Have access to a car and have a valid G or higher level of driver’s license
- Experience in wilderness trip risk management, trip management and evacuation protocol
- At least two seasons of camping, outdoor education and/or recreational experience as a supervisor
- Excellent team player able to work closely and share leadership with other staff
- Experience in supervision, information sharing, staff scheduling and payroll
- YMCA Child Protection Orientation
- AODA training
- Health & Safety Awareness training
- Violence & Harassment in the Workplace training
- PCI Compliance
- Mandated training is required before or shortly after commencement of work
- Clear Police Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on client needs. Be on-call for programs, work flexible hours and days including weekends as well as availability during some traditional holiday breaks in the school calendar.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS OR WILLING TO OBTAIN:
- Canoe tripping course instructor
- Instructor or Coaching Certifications in Adventure Activities or Recreational Sports
- ACCT accreditation (Level 2, and/or Course Manager) required or logbook hours sufficient to obtain
- Leave No Trace (LNT) Instructor Trainer
- Non-violent Crisis Prevention certification
- Train the Trainer experience in Adventure Programming
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA. Articulates the uniqueness and holistic nature of the YMCA philosophy, mission and vision. Seeks opportunities to fulfil the philosophy of the Association inside and outside of immediate job responsibilities.
- Volunteer Stewardship: Understands the important role volunteers play in our Association. Contributes to a welcoming and supportive environment for all volunteers, and demonstrates appreciation for their commitment.
- Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen and secure information in a variety of settings.
- Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
- Philanthropy: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation of the role of Philanthropy in achieving the YMCA’s mission.
- Self-Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results.
- Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
- Values/Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources department.