JOB TITLE: School Age Assistant Teacher
LOCATION: Regent Park Child Care Centre
DEPARTMENT: Child and Family Development
PLACEMENT: Immediate, Part time term, 2 positions
ABOUT THE YMCA OF SIMCOE/MUSKOKA:
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka currently serves over 125,000 people in Simcoe and Muskoka Counties in Central Ontario.
With a staff complement of 900+ full and part-time staff, combined with over 1,000 volunteers and donors, and an operating budget of $33 million, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka serves over 30,000 annual members and participants through its eight membership centres in Barrie, Collingwood, Gravenhurst, Innisfil, Midland, Orillia, Parry Sound, and Wasaga Beach; 3,000 Child Care families across a number of communities; registers 4,000 day campers in addition to 800 residence campers at YMCA Camp Kitchikewana on Beausoleil Island; over 15,000 people through leadership development, outdoor education and family programs at YMCA Geneva Park; and counsels over 20,000 people in several employment centres, including Huntsville and Parry Sound.
As our Mission Statement affirms, “My Y is dedicated to the growth of all persons in spirit, mind and body, and to their sense of belonging to each other and the global community”. Our Vision for the future is “My Y inspires people to reach their full potential”.
Under the direction of the Supervisor, the School Age ECE Teacher will ensure that all YMCA Child and Family Development Programs provide quality care, service and support to the participants and their families. The School Age ECE Teacher is responsible for the planning and implementation of an age appropriate program designed to meet the developmental needs of the individual children following all legislative requirements from the Ministry of Children and Youth Services to ensure the health, safety and well being of all children in his/her program.
• Models appropriate and professional behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values
• Establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship building behaviours
• Understands and participates in YMCA philanthropic commitments, connects with families and offers opportunities to give, either financially or their personal time, including participation in special events within the centre and the community
• Demonstrates strong support and commitment to community activities, representing the YMCA in a professional manner
• Self manages on-going professional development;
– Responsible for participating in School Age training opportunities as offered and
– Attend other YMCA Child and Family Development training programs as required
• Follows the supervision and guidance of the supervisor. Discusses policy or liability with direct supervisor as required
• Work with, lead and evaluate volunteers and placement students
• Understands and is sensitive to the diversity of the community
• Works to maintain active and effective communication and information networks within the centre, the staff team and with community agencies working with individual children and families
• Aware of the indicators of abuse and be prepared to report it to the Child Care Centre Supervisor and the Children’s Aid Society
• Seeks opportunities to deepen connections and increase engagement of parents and children in care, providing further opportunities to get involved in other YMCA programs
• ECE Diploma or equivalency from the College of ECEs
• Registered with the College of ECEs
• Up to date first aid and CPR training
• Clear Police Reference, including Vulnerable Sector Check
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
• Experience with School Age children an asset
• Commitment to Organization Vision and Values Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
• Communication Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the association.
• Planning and Organizing Establishes a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long-term work goals.
• Team Work Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness.
• Creativity and Innovation Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help us achieve desired results.
• Flexibility and Adaptability to readily modify the program in order to satisfy the needs of the participants providing that safety requirements are met.
• Quality Focus meets, surpasses YMCA Canada and Association standards and practices.
• Concern for Health and Safety Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Qualified candidates who wish to be considered are invited to send a resume and cover letter to:
Supervisor, Child Development and Family Support Programs
YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
Applications will remain open until Friday November 19, 2013.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.