Supervisor, Fitness & Individual Conditioning
JOB TITLE: Supervisor, Fitness & Individual Conditioning
DEPARTMENT: Health, Fitness & Aquatics
PLACEMENT: Term Appointment
ABOUT THE YMCA OF SIMCOE/MUSKOKA:
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka currently serves over 125,000 people in Simcoe County and the Districts of Muskoka and Parry Sound in Central Ontario. The YMCA is one of the largest charities within our service area, providing over $1.1 million annually of support and access to our programs and services.
With a staff complement of 1200+ full and part-time staff, combined with over 1,000 volunteers and donors, and an operating budget of $39 million, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka serves over 30,000 annual members and participants through its eight membership centres in Barrie, Collingwood, Gravenhurst, Innisfil, Midland, Orillia, Parry Sound, and Wasaga Beach; 3,000 Child Care families across a number of communities; registers 5,000 day campers in addition to 1000 overnight campers at YMCA Camp Kitchikewana on Beausoleil Island; over 15,000 people through leadership development, outdoor education and family programs at YMCA Geneva Park; and counsels over 20,000 people in several community development programs.
As our Mission Statement affirms, “My Y is dedicated to the growth of all persons in spirit, mind and body, and to their sense of belonging to each other and the global community.” Our Vision for the future is “My Y inspires people to reach their full potential.”
The Supervisor, Fitness & Individual Conditioning is responsible for the delivery of quality health and wellness programs and services.
• Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada.
• Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka.
• Adherence to all provincial and federal legislation relevant to job description.
• Work proactively to develop positive and long lasting relationships with members, participants, staff and volunteers.
• Facilitate personal growth, engagement, commitment and goal achievement.
• Maintain and manage reliable retention data to ensure that members are connected and committed.
• Engage in on-floor program delivery an average of 30 hours per week through group fitness class instruction and individual consultation.
• Deliver service-friendly fitness programming. Monitor and maintain high quality instruction and customer service, adhering to YMCA SAM Standards and best practices.
• Develop and manage an annual budget in cooperation with the General Manager ensuring that contribution targets are achieved.
• Recruit, train, schedule and evaluate an exceptional team of staff and volunteers.
• Provide regular volunteer fitness instructor certification courses.
• Maintain a high level of instruction by conducting annual evaluations and development workshops.
• Support and work as part of a senior staff team to ensure that all members’ YMCA experience is a positive one.
• Create opportunities for members to interact and engage socially.
• Listen attentively, creating an environment of open communication among participants, volunteers and staff.
• Share information with colleagues and the service staff in a clear and timely manner.
• Return all calls within 24 hours during the work week.
• Act as Manager on Duty as assigned.
• Maintain records of equipment preventative maintenance and ensure all equipment is in good working order.
• Maintain a sound working knowledge of safety procedures.
• To be responsible for safety and security
• Complete incident reports
• Respond to members concerns in a helpful and positive manner.
• Liaise with YMCA staff and volunteers to ensure the uninterrupted delivery of membership programs and services.
• Provide front line support to the other departments as required.
• Degree or Diploma in Physical Education/Kinesiology/Recreation
• YMCA Individual Conditioning II or other recognized Personal Training and Group Fitness Certifications (i.e. CSEP, CPT, CanFit Pro, PTS/FIS)
• Computer Literate/Systems Management
• SAM Training
• Emergency Training
• Manager on Duty Training
• Minimum 2 Years Program Delivery Experience
• Current Standard First Aid & CPR C
• Child Protection orientation
• AODA training
• Health & Safety Awareness training
• Bill 168 (Violence & Harassment in the Workplace) training
• Mandated training (including AODA, Workplace Violence & Harassment, Health & Safety Awareness, Child Protection, etc.) is required before or shortly after commencement of work
• Clear Police Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
• Must be able to work flexible hours based on client needs
Qualified candidates who wish to be considered are invited to send a resume and cover letter to:
YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
Applications will remain open until March 17, 2017.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources department.