Shawanaga First Nation
Shawanaga First Nation Education Department
Job Description Title: Administrative Assistant – Education Department
Reports To: Education Department Principal and
Shawanaga First Nation Band Office Authorities
The Administrative Assistant for the Education Department works closely with and provides support to the Education Department and Education Principal.
- Total Confidentiality at all times; and to maintain confidentiality of ALL files.
- To cooperate and work as a team member with all members of the education staff
- Provide assistance and support for all education staff
- Act as the receptionist at the front desk and greet visitors to the school upon their arrival.
- Answer the phone, screen calls, and take messages
- To work in the area of finance for the programs, preparation of requisition forms, etc., and liaison with the Education Department/Principal and Finance Office
- To perform duties such as filing, typing, ordering supplies, etc.
- To maintain a filing system for the documents, contracts, leases, deeds, and all other official records of Education
- Ensure that time sheets for each employee are completed and ready for Principal signature
- Assist with booking field trips as required
- Deliver forms, letters, etc., to the band office and pick up education mail at the band office.
- Liaise with all Shawanaga First Nation employees as required
- Photocopying and laminating as required
- To act and conduct in a professional manner at all times
- Any other duties may be assigned by the Education Principal, Education Department, and Shawanaga First Nation Band Office.
To keep current files that may include:
- The Parent/Student Handbook
- Extra-curricular Activities
- School Committees/School Council Files
- The annual school calendars
- Conference and Workshop Files
- Assist with Monthly Newsletters
- Any special projects, trips, or training being undertaken by a member of the staff or by a student or by the entire school.
- Grade 12 and/or a post-secondary certificate in the field of Business and/or Education with 3-5 years of experience in a Business Management position
- Working knowledge of government policies, programs and curriculums
- Demonstrated human resource and financial management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Strong computer skills
- A sound understanding of Anishinaabe culture and First Nation education issues • Experience working within a First Nation educational setting with Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) • Ability to work in a unique cultural environment
- Must possess a valid Ontario’s drivers’ license and be insurable
- Excellent interpersonal skills; be a positive role model
- Emergency CPR and First Aid Certification
- Vulnerable Sector Police Check to work in the Education System
- Provide three references.
Preference may be given to Aboriginal candidates with relevant and reserve employment experience and/or those with knowledge and understanding of Shawanaga First Nation history and community.
Successful candidates must be able to produce and maintain a clean Criminal Record Check (CPIC).
Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted, thank you for your interest. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three (3) work related reference letters with current contact information by 4:00 pm on September 30th, via email, mail, fax or in person to :
Shawanaga First Nation
2 Village Road, Nobel Ontario, P0G 1G0
Tel: (705) 366-2526 * Fax: (705) 366-2740
ATTENTION JOB SEEKERS • The job description presented in this posting is solely that of the employer. The YMCA Employment Service is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of this information and does not accept any liability for the conduct and/or practices of employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org