YMCA - Camp Wabanaki
HEAD COOK, CAMP
Location: Camp Wabanaki
FULL TIME CONTRACT
START DATE: Immediate
END DATE: August 27th, 2022
Posting will remain active until the position is filled
Please send applications to https://ckwymca.campbrainstaff.com
Do you take pride in your ability to oversee all operations in a commercial camp kitchen including cleanliness, ordering, and properly and safely storing, preparing and serving of camp food. To uphold all food safety guidelines, and to train and supervise all staff working in the kitchen. To work with a pre-determined menu, and ensure the food is appealing and the amounts are adequate to feed hungry campers?
If this is you, join our team and make a difference in the lives of thousands of campers and young leaders!
The YMCA of Three Rivers is committed to better serving our communities, where and how they need us most. For almost 100 years, our camping department has operated a variety of camps, giving children and youth an experience like none other.
As one of the largest YMCA camp providers, the YMCA of Three Rivers plays a leading role in providing quality camp experiences for children and extraordinary employment opportunities for young people. Our YMCA Camps serve hundreds of campers each summer and employs dozens of young leaders across our communities. This is where you come in.
What you will do…
- Be aware of and ensure strict adherence to standards and guidelines of a camp kitchen with knowledge gained by Ontario Food Safety/Food Handling Certification, combined with knowledge of Ontario Public Health, YMCA of Kitchener-Waterloo Camping and OCA Camping Standards
- Ensure that all food is properly stored, i.e. proper temperatures, appropriate food-safe containers, safe from pests, disposed of immediately after expiry dates, etc.
- Follow a pre-determined cleaning schedule after every meal, day, and week that ensures kitchen cleanliness according to both food safety standards and aesthetic requirements
- Closely monitor and record walk-in cooler temperatures, freezers, etc.
- Ensure excellent food quality, and sufficient quantity
- Ensure all special dietary requirements/requests are met (allergies, vegetarian, religious, etc.) by planning and preparing menu options that are as substantial as the regular meal being served, and that the quantity is adequate.
- Ensure fruit fridge/Health Hut is always full, clean and accessible to campers and staff
- Ensure proper etiquette is being followed before and after meals, including handwashing, appropriate place settings at all meals, proper clean up procedures
- Responsible for training and supervision of assistant cook and kitchen staff
- Work with the assistant cook at developing his/her skills by helping with ordering, food preparation, supervision of staff
- Responsible for garbage, recycling and compost (if applicable) management
- Follow/suggest updates to kitchen manual
- Support resource staff and director with staff supervision
- Occasionally take part in other areas of camp programs, as needed
- Any other tasks deemed necessary by the director, in cases of emergency, etc.
What you will bring….
- Experience cooking for large groups in a camp and/or commercial setting
- Food Safety/Handling Certification (possible to be obtained once hired)
- Experience supervising and mentoring staff
- Strong interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills
- Hard working and flexible
- Committed to working as part of a team, and able to work well independently
Please submit online application at https://ckwymca.campbrainstaff.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org