Website Orillia Public Library
Reporting to the Director of Operations and Corporate Services, the Orillia Public Library has an opening for a one-year contract for the position of Community Outreach Worker to provide outreach services at the Orillia Public Library, Orillia City facilities, and at various other locations in the downtown area.
- Proactively provide engagement and support to individuals in need of social services.
- Help individuals meet basic needs by assisting with navigation of social service systems.
- Provide brief short-term support in life skills, developing coping strategies.
- Provide Individual’s with referrals to community supports as required.
- Respond to requests for assistance with de-escalation when it is safe to do so, including contacting emergency back-up services if required.
- Follow-up with individuals after initial contact to confirm they received the necessary assistance.
- Maintain accurate records of contact as required.
- Develop partnerships with community resources and services to make referrals, understand what services are available and how to best access them.
- Support and provide training for front line staff at the Library, City and downtown, in conjunction with other social service agencies, in:
- Mental health awareness,
- Crisis intervention and de-escalation, and
- Trauma debriefing.
- Bachelor of Social Work degree with 2 years of related work experience, or Community College Social Service Worker diploma with four years of work experience in community outreach.
- Member of the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.
- Experience working in a front-line community setting with at-risk individuals.
- Knowledge of short term, single session modalities.
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, First Aid & Mental Health First Aid training including administering naloxone an asset, with preference for “train the trainer” certification in each area.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public, staff, and external agencies.
- Excellent organizational, judgment, initiative, and interpersonal skills with ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Proficient computer skills using MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, Email and the Internet.
- Valid class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s license with access to a reliable vehicle is required for this position.
- A current and acceptable Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector is required for this position at the incumbent’s expense, prior to the employment commencement date.
Compensation for this position is $29.28 (under review) per hour for 36.5 hours per week. Interested applicants are invited to submit their application by May 13, 2022, at 5:00pm.
To apply for this job please visit careers.orillia.ca.