Wendat Community Programs
High school graduation required plus 1 year or less Diploma post high school in a related field.
3-5 years experience with commercial/institutional cooking. Must have Food handling certificate and
knowledge of sanitation practices.
Able to exercise moderate judgment within guidelines where some gaps in knowledge or information may exist.
Contact with clients/residents as well as co-workers occurs routinely and requires ordinary, common
courtesy and respect.
Little or no contact with external community partners. Minimal written work is required.
Must be able to concentrate on task at hand for a few hours without a break, and get meals prepared on time.
Occasional slow times due to resident absence, special holidays, prepared ahead meals etc.
Able to cope with moderate levels of physical exertion (lifting or carrying large bundles (groceries/dish
racks), cleaning appliances, washing floors).
Able to follow explicit instructions (menu plan for each day).
This job consists of routine, defined tasks within one role and one location. No responsibility for supervision of others or involvement with organizational management.
Able to use initiative to prioritize work between cooking and cleaning while still able to take breaks. May be required to orient peers to job duties and use of equipment.
1. This position will have very limited access to confidential information about program finances or personal information about clients or employees. Ensures at all times, the confidentiality of this information.
2. Conducts all matters in a punctual and responsible manner, demonstrating ordinary courtesy and respect.
3. Exhibits trustworthy behaviour.
4. Maintains accurate and up-to-date records when required.
5. Participates in staff meetings, training opportunities and/or agency committees as appropriate.
1. Prepare and serve appetizing meals, on time, according to the program menu and schedule. Prepares some meals to be frozen or kept for later use. Listen to client concerns and suggestions regarding the meals and pass along comments to the full-time cook.
2. Accept assignments from the Cook as well as the Program Supervisor with respect to food preparation, cleaning, dish-washing, dining room set-up and other duties that may be required.
3. Ensures kitchen areas and all equipment/dishes are left clean and secure with all food stored according to standards.
4. Takes out garbage daily from kitchen areas.
5. Re-fills food supplies in servery as required.
6. Records shortage of supplies/food so they may be re-ordered.
7. Records names of persons served at each meal.
8. May be required to orient co-worker to the same job or train a co-worker on the use of kitchen equipment.
9. Other duties as assigned by the Program Supervisor, Cook or other senior staff.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org