- Full Time
- Parry Sound — Parry Sound and area
- Closing date: Feb 11, 2022
Canadian Mental Health Association - Muskoka Parry Sound Branch
Counsellor – Addictions
Job Status: Contract, until December 31, 2022
Base office: Parry Sound
Competition #: 104-21
Purpose of the Position: The Addiction Counsellor provides a range of community-based addiction services to individuals experiencing and/or impacted by substance use. The role will provide counselling including assessment, care planning and referrals. The role will also encompass case management and community-based capacity building and stigma reduction through community education, development and liaison. Intervention aids understanding of the effects of substance use and co-occurring mental health issues, while supporting positive change and enhanced coping, improved health status and skill development in all life domains. The role will involve working closely with key community partners such as the Rapid Access Addiction Medicine (RAAM) clinics, family physicians, hospitals, withdrawal management services, etc. Service delivery occurs in a range of office and/or community settings.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a human service/health science discipline relevant to the position. Equivalency may be considered for a combination of educational experiences. Examples of equivalency include;
- Addictions: Diploma in human services/health sciences PLUS post-diploma specialization in addictions
- Mental Health related diploma with relevant work experience PLUS registration with a regulated health professional college
- Addiction positions require registration with the Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation or eligible and willing to acquire registration with clear goals to become certified.
- One year of experience working with persons who have mental illness and/or developmental disability and/or substance use issues preferred, plus experience in providing one or more of the following preferred;
- supportive counselling
- case management
- crisis intervention
- Manage internal and external relationships, to have and demonstrate empathy and compassion, to be aware of emotional intelligence, conflict resolution, and the understanding of the feelings, ideas, and beliefs of others.
- Aboriginal cultural awareness and education is an asset.
- Bilingual in French is an asset.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Tolerance of and ability to handle a heavy workload and competing demands and high-risk situations.
- Ability to use and learn new technology (computers, software programs, phones, printer/scanners, alarm/security systems etc.).
- May be required to transport staff and/or clients of the Agency and therefore you are to hold a valid Ontario G or G2 driver’s license, have a reliable means of transportation and appropriate insurance for work purposes on your vehicle with a minimum of $1,000,000 in liability coverage.
Salary scale: $28.13 to $36.83 per hour commensurate with qualifications and experience
Benefits include: optional Registered Retirement plan with HOOPP where contributions start on date of hire.
Please note that we are a scent-free organization.
You are invited to submit your application by quoting competition number 104-21 to:
The Hiring Committee
Canadian Mental Health Association, Muskoka-Parry Sound Branch
173-202 Manitoba Street
Bracebridge, Ontario P1L 1S3 Telephone (705) 645-2262 Fax (705) 645-7473 Website: https://mps.cmha.ca/get-involved/careers/
Please note: CMHAMPS is committed to achieving 100% compliance with its COVID-19 Vaccine Policy. Eligibility for new employment with the CMHAMPS is full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment or documentation of accommodation obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code or a medical exemption from a primary care or specialist health care provider resulting in a non-vaccination status.
To be considered fully vaccinated, an individual must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine, or a combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by the World Health Organization (e.g. two doses of a two-dose vaccine series or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series) and received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to commencement of employment.
Canadian Mental Health Association Muskoka – Parry Sound (CMHAMPS) is an equal opportunity employer, and we value the importance of diversity, dignity and worth of every individual in the workplace.
Qualified consumers/survivors and/or family members are encouraged to apply
We retain all applications submitted for one year after the closing date of this posting for consideration in any future postings.
As part of our commitment to Accessibility, if you wish this information in a different format, please contact our office at 705-645-2262.
If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please let us know prior to the interview if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Reference ID: Competition Number: 104-21
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Salary: $28.13-$36.83 per hour
ATTENTION JOB SEEKERS • The job description presented in this posting is solely that of the employer. The YMCA Employment Service is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of this information and does not accept any liability for the conduct and/or practices of employer.
To apply for this job please visit mps.cmha.ca.