Parry Sound Forest School
Educator – Summer Student
1 College Drive, Parry Sound, ON
Pay: $17–$19 an hour
Job type: Seasonal, Full-time
Shift and schedule: Monday to Friday
Application Details: Cover letter
Summary: This is a position of teamwork, flexibility and taking initiative to make sure that the more senior staff are supported to keep camp running safely and smoothly, and to ensure the land and our learners are cared for. Summer students will be given increasing responsibility as they demonstrate readiness to do so.
Ideal Qualifications and Skills:
- Interested in child development and outdoor learning;Attending or recently graduated from high school;
- Completion of HIGHFIVE Principles of Healthy Childhood Development Course;
- Demonstrate initiative and ability to follow instructions
- Campcraft skills
- Enjoys singing and storytelling
- Experience working with children
Locations: We have several locations for our summer camps, all within a 30 minute drive of Parry Sound. You may be required to work at one or all of these locations during the summer.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist Educators to ensure site is ready to go in the morning – water jug full and ready for use, bottom bucket emptied, clean-up any bits of garbage, string, plastic on the forest floor, paths and so on;
- Assist Educators to manage the tarp, ensuring it is where it needs to be in the am and pm (weather dependant).
- Bring to the attention of the lead any new or emerging safety concerns;
- Ensure materials and equipment are cared for appropriately;
- Follow fire and tool safety policies;
- Work with Educators to complete accident and incident forms in a timely manner;
- Help keep count of students;
- Report any concerns around child abuse to the Lead or Director as soon as an indicator is noted. Do not prompt the child or ask leading questions, or if the abuse involves the Director, report to the Lead. Maintain confidentiality.
- Ensure as far as possible the plants and animals on site are treated kindly and with respect.
Schedule and Programming:
- Participate in the daily brief at the end of the day providing input on programing and child behaviour, interests and volunteering to take on activities;
- Be flexible around timing of lunch breaks;
- Read the group energy level, give feedback to lead on any concerning behaviour or incidents.
- Demonstrate a willingness to try out or new skills- leading games, leading songs, telling stories, as they are able
- Keep the Lead abreast of any supplies that need to be replenished, any incidents where children have had to go home (behaviour, illness, injury);
- Ask for clarification from lead if unsure of your role
Supporting Child Behaviour:
- Work as a team and follow the suggestions of more senior staff to ensure a supportive, responsive and inclusive learning environment for all learners;
- Manage behaviour proactively and as discreetly as possible, but as directly as needed;
- Support children in a caring manner and as they make friends, play, work to master new skills and participate in forest school activities (High Five Principles).
- Interact positively with children, acting as a role model
How to Apply: Email the following documents as one PDF document to Diana Clements at firstname.lastname@example.org
(1) Updated cover letter detailing your fit for the position and interest in joining the Parry Sound Forest School team.
(2) Current resume including work experience, skills, education, and other points relevant to this job description.
Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Job Types: Full-time, Seasonal
Salary: $17.00-$19.00 per hour
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person
ATTENTION JOB SEEKERS • The job description presented in this posting is solely that of the employer. The YMCA Employment Service is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of this information and does not accept any liability for the conduct and/or practices of employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com