Midland Cultural Centre
The Town of Midland, home of the Midland Cultural Centre (MCC), is situated on the beautiful shores of Georgian Bay at the gateway to the 30,000 islands. Located in the downtown core, the MCC is a focal point for many of the cultural activities in North Simcoe and welcomes visitors to various performances, concerts, exhibitions and events, drawing local and provincial audiences. The completely accessible state-of-the-art facility features Rotary Hall, a 274-seat multi-purpose space, an Indigenous Art Gallery, and a Cafe?. The MCC is also home to Quest Art School + Gallery with exhibition and classroom space, Huronia Players Community Theatre Group, with a 121-seat theatre and Noopimiing Creations, an Indigenous artist owned and operated gift shop. The MCC is seeking applicants to join its Event Staff team in the position of two different roles; House Manager and Bartender. We welcome applicants to apply to one of these positions, or both.
House Manager Job Description
The primary responsibility of the on-duty House Manager is to facilitate the operation of the MCC’s front line services to ensure quality customer service is provided and oversee the safety of patrons during performances or events. The House Manager supervises all front-of-house staff and volunteers working for an event and is the primary point of contact of communication for patrons, artists and other departments within the centre during a performance or event.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Supervise up to 15 front of house staff and volunteers for each event;
• Provide staff and volunteers with direction and coordinate duties to ensure continuity and quality customer service is provided;
• Plan and prioritize critical plan for each event;
• Compile information for a report for review by senior staff after each event;
• Communicate closely with other departments to ensure the event runs smoothly from start to finish;
• Responsible for coordinating with Operations Coordinator to ensure all artist hospitality requirements are fulfilled with respect for scheduling and deadlines;
• Take initiative in resolving patron seating or ticketing issues during an event;
• Must be able to manage/multi-task several responsibilities at once;
• Supervise on-duty bartenders, overseeing concession/alcohol sales and service, inventory and reconciliation;
• Manage on behalf of touring artists, their merchandise sales, inventory and reconciliation as required;
• Ensure that the lobby, reception areas, and audience spaces are prepared to receive the public;
• Complete nightly bank deposits from concession/alcohol sales and merchandise;
• Provide both administrative and operational support to the senior Management Team;
• Attend and participate in regular staff meetings or alternate, as necessary;
• Have full knowledge and respond effectively to emergencies and evacuation procedures; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Completion of secondary school is required;
• Currently enrolled in or completion of college/university or equivalent would be considered an asset;
• 3 years of customer service experience in a busy environment, preferably in event planning;
• Strong communication skills in order to effectively deal with patrons, staff and volunteers in a positive and professional manner;
• Basic computer skills. Preferred proficiency in Microsoft Suite;
• Ability to work independently and effectively manage time and resources;
• Problem solving skills and ability to adapt and think quickly on your feet;
• SMART Serve Certificate required and First Aid Certificate;
• Occasional heavy lifting (50 lbs) is required; and
• Successful candidates, who are new hires and/or who have not performed in this position previously will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check, with vulnerable sector screening, dated within the last 30 days as a condition of employment.
• Black pants/shirt and non-slip closed toe shoes
• Ability to work a flexible schedule which will include evenings, holidays and weekend hours. Hours are conditional upon the MCC’s programming and rental schedule and are both weekly and seasonally variable;
Please submit a current resume via email by April 6, 2023 to email@example.com with “House Manager” and your name in the subject line. If you are applying for both the House Manager and Bartender roles, please put “Both” and your name in the subject line. Application deadline: 2023-04-06
Job Type: Casual
The Midland Cultural Centre is an equal opportunity employer, valuing diversity in the workplace. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees, volunteers and members of the community feel valued, respected, supported and welcomed. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the public and the communities in which we live and serve.
The Midland Cultural Centre is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in the compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
The Midland Cultural Centre acknowledges that the land on which we gather is located on the traditional territory of the Anishinaabe, Ojibway/Chippewa and Potawatomi peoples, and is the ancestral home of the Huron-Wendat Nation.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org