Parry Sound Forest School
Forest School Indigenous Intern
Parry Sound, ON
Apply on Indeed
Salary: From $19 an hour
Application Details: Cover letter
Job type: Full-time
- Secondary School (Preferred)
Full Job Description
Parry Sound Forest School is a new and thriving business in the heart of Parry Sound, ON. We offer a variety of year-round programming options for many age groups and support children in becoming confident and capable with a sound sense of their abilities and interests. There is rising concern that children today spend less time playing and learning outdoors. For this reason, unstructured outdoor play, learning, and connecting them to nature are central to our work. We also see ourselves as working towards the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and strive to hold space for Indigenous perspectives and relationships with the land.
The Parry Sound Forest School Educator Intern will have the opportunity to work alongside an early childhood educator and a teacher in supporting children as they play and learn in the forest adjacent to Canadore College. This position is well suited to an individual who is interested in traditional and land-based knowledge and would like to gain experience in Early Childhood Development or Teaching.
Assist our educators with the delivery of forest school sessions to children ages 3-12 including:
- bushcraft (tool use, knots and ropes, fire making);
- risk management;
- story telling;
- maintenance of our cabin and equipment;
- other duties as requested by the director.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate must love spending time with children and must be energetic, flexible, and eager to assist with the overall success of Parry Sound Forest School and must have:
- Completed High School;
- Are new entrants into the workforce, are transitioning to a new career, or the unemployed or underemployed who are entering a new field;
- Identify as an Indigenous person, including First Nation, Metis, or Inuit
- Have not previously participated in a NOHFC-funded internship;
- Willingness to being outside in all seasons;
- Self-directed learning skills;
- Interest in traditional teachings;
- Hold or be able to obtain a Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screen;
- Hold or be willing to obtain training in first aid and childhood development through High Five;
- College or University training in Early Childhood Education, Education, Conservation, Indigenous
Studies or other related fields is an asset, although not required.
HOURS: This is a full-time position with 35 hours per week.
WAGES: Negotiable. Commensurate with experience.
DURATION: 12 months beginning September 6, 2022, pending funding. A later start date is possible upon request. Opportunities for a longer contract to be discussed.
LOCATION: Forest School takes place primarily at Canadore College Campus in Parry Sound, ON.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: on-going.
(1) Updated cover letter detailing your fit for the position and interest in joining the Parry
Sound Forest School team.
(2) Current resume including work experience, skills, education, and other points relevant to this job description.
Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
This opportunity is proudly supported by Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation and is funded through the Indigenous Workforce Development Program. It is a requirement under this program that the selected candidate for this position self-identify as an Indigenous person.
Eligibility requirements of the program can be found here: https://nohfc.ca/en/pages/programs/people-talent-program/indigenous-workforce-development
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $19.00 per hour
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate: Parry Sound, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Education: Secondary School (preferred)
Work Location: One location
Expected start date: 2023-04-01
ATTENTION JOB SEEKERS • The job description presented in this posting is solely that of the employer. The YMCA Employment Service is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of this information and does not accept any liability for the conduct and/or practices of employer.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.