Ministry of the Solicitor General
Organization: Ministry of the Solicitor General
Division: Institutional Services
City: Any City
Job Term: Temporary (on-call contract, 5.5 months)
Job Code: C50230 – Helper Food Service (COR)
Salary: $21.57 – $23.19 Per Hour*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU
Posting Status: Open
Job ID: 149785
Do you have experience within a large volume food services operation? If so, the Ministry of the Solicitor General wants
you to join one of our adult correctional facilities across Ontario to prepare, cook, and assemble standard and special diet
meals in a cook-chill/retherm operation.
We are currently seeking to fill short term on-call contracts of 5.5 months in duration. If you are interested and
demonstrate the qualifications outlined below, please submit your application by clicking on the “Apply Online” at the
bottom of these webpage. In your application, please specify the city (or cities) you are interested to work in.
On-Call Food Services Officer contracts may be available in the following cities: Etobicoke, Milton, Maidstone, Brockville,
Ottawa, Lindsay, Penetanguishene.
• These positions are on-call working 0 to 40 hours per week, and may include weekends and statutory holidays, based on
operational requirements and with no minimum guaranteed number of hours per week
• Position will require you to supervise and provide direction to inmate helpers
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Assist staff with the rethermalization for meal services set-up and delivery
• Maintain proper sanitary conditions in the kitchen
• Follow guidelines of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point Program in the receipt, preparation, storage, assembly and
distribution of food items
• Supervise and instruct offender helpers including writing reports
• Ensure the safety and security of staff and inmate helpers
• Perform receiving duties as required
• Supervise and ensure cleanliness of ware washing area
• Other duties as assigned
How do I qualify?
• You have a valid Food Handler Certificate (either currently OR previously certified and can obtain re-certification upon
• You possess current First Aid and Heartsaver Certificates (or the ability to obtain upon hire)
Food Services Experience and Skills
• You have experience with large volume cooking as well as cook-chill/retherm safety principles
• You have experience preparing various diets (i.e. lifestyle, medical, religious)
• You are knowledgeable in food safety practices as well as health and safety regulations
• You can understand and follow corporate policies and protocols
• You have communication and teamwork skills
• You have problem-solving skills
Temporary – Irregular On-Call, duration up to 5.5 months, Any City, Anywhere in
Ontario , Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases
Compensation Group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Category: Corrections and Enforcement
Posted on: Wednesday, June 3, 2020
Note The number of positions to be filled has not been identified at this time. This posting will be used to create an list
of qualified candidates to fill upcoming short-term contract opportunities.
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top
candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the
screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security
Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If
applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening
checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be
ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for
the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s)
will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment
screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
You must apply online.
To apply for this job please visit www.gojobs.gov.on.ca.