Reporting to the Manager of Optical Design, the Optical Designer will use commercial software to design, evaluate and verify a wide variety of optical systems. Raytheon ELCAN designs various optical and opto-electronic system, modules and sub-modules operating in different wavebands, with particular emphasis on infrared and visible systems. Primary tasks include conceptual design, optimization of preliminary designs to achieve required performance parameters, design analysis by computer simulation, modelling of manufacturing effects, and prediction of “as-built” design performance.
The Optical Designer will also undertake research to ensure potential design concepts are feasible, and can be manufactured within given cost constraints. They will also assist in review and approval of test set-up and procedures, to ensure manufactured hardware meets agreed requirements. Optical Design is at the forefront of any new developments and as such must work closely with business development and customers during proposal activity. Successful products require the Optical Design group to work collaboratively with various other engineering and production groups at Raytheon ELCAN that form the integrated product development team (IPDT). The candidate is expected to work in support and execution of existing projects as well as contribute to new developments. Responsibilities would include dissemination of design and research through reports, conference proceedings and development of intellectual property.
– Participate as an individual contributor supporting program activities
– Design of optical systems from concept to product
– Use of analysis tools (MatLab, CodeV, Zemax, FRED, or MSExcel for EO modeling, simulation, and analysis)
– Create and present technical briefings on programs and research projects
– Resolution of issues on production lines and in testing (including suppliers)
Experience / Qualifications:
– Bachelor’s degree in Optical Science, Physics, Engineering Physics, Physics with Math or a related Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics field
– Master’s degree or higher in Applied Optics or Applied Physics with specialization in optics, preferred
– Specialization in optics, preferred
– Two or more years’ experience in the design process of optical systems and familiarity with commercial design programs (CodeV, ZEMAX, FRED)
– Experience in design of visual optics with an understanding of the human visual system
– Experience in design of IR optical systems
– Proficiency in reading and interpreting engineering drawings and specifications
– Advanced knowledge MS Office; Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
Key Competencies we are seeking in our team members:
– Effective interpersonal leadership and communications skills
– Adaptable, innovative and problem solver
– Analytical and reasoning; decision making with business acumen
– Accountability to stay motivated and resilient even when faced with difficult challenges
– Willingness to learn and acquire knowledge/understanding through study, instruction or experience, participate in training courses
Raytheon ELCAN offers a competitive compensation package that includes incentive program, benefits, and pension plan. We also offer flexible work arrangements with an available hybrid work schedule.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a criminal reference check and obtain/maintain a Government of Canada security clearance and any applicable clearances with respect to the handling and transfer of controlled goods.
Raytheon ELCAN is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion; we welcome applications from all qualified persons. We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, Raytheon ELCAN will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability-related accommodations, please contact Human Resources. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
RTX is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
To apply for this job please visit careers.rtx.com.