YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
Outdoor Education Program Facilitator
Parry Sound, ON
Apply on Company Site: https://ymcaofsimcoemuskoka.ca/careers/
Pay: $18 an hour
Job type: Part-time
Shift and schedule: Weekends as needed
Program Facilitators work with groups of children, youth and adults to lead various outdoor education, leadership and team building programs at locations throughout Simcoe County, Muskoka and Parry Sound. Facilitators will work in a variety of locations including school yards, gymnasiums, parks, provincial parks, and others and regularly work in different locations each day. Program Facilitators are creative, adaptable, fun and always lead programs in a safe manner to ensure it is meaningful and impactful experience for participants. Current programs include a Grade 4 Science program with the Simcoe County District School Board as well as Team Leadership Development for YMCA Child Care staff and Outdoor Pedagogy for YMCA School Age programs.
Hours and shifts include weekday daytime hours as well as evening and weekends. The hours and shifts assigned each week will depend on your availability and the number of programs scheduled. Travel costs are reimbursed as per our Associations travel expense and mileage policy. Various contract lengths available from 4 to 10 months.
Join us and participate in the development and growth of new programming to expand our reach to schools, youth groups, community organizations, adult groups and other groups of children, youth and adults who will benefit from outdoor education, leadership development and team building programs.
In this role, you will:
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada.
- Demonstrates strong support and commitment to serving all participants, clients, customers, donors, families, members, sponsors, staff, volunteers, etc. of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
- Establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship-building behaviours.
- Maintain high quality program in accordance with YMCA standards and best practices, participant needs and Association strategic directions.
- Work with groups of children, youth and adults to offer meaningful and impactful outdoor education programming at various locations throughout Simcoe County, Muskoka and Parry Sound. Facilitate year round programs and activities (such as a Grade 4 Science program, a School Age Child Care Outdoor Education Program, a Child Care Staff leadership program, etc.).
- Exercise sound judgment in making decisions which affect the safety and welfare of program participants.
- Build collaborative working relationships with funding partners, mentors, and other community partners through ongoing reports, communication and visits.
- Link participants with community resources that may assist them in achieving success.
- Ensure all administrative duties and reporting is completed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Adherence to all provincial and federal legislation relevant to job description.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-Secondary education in education, recreation and leisure studies, child and youth worker, environmental studies, or a combination of education and work experience
- Minimum 2 years’ relevant work experience
- Strong facilitation, communication, leadership, presentation and customer service skills
- Have access to a car and have a valid G or higher level of driver’s license
- Experience working with individuals facing barriers and equity deserving groups
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on client needs, including weekends and evenings
- Clear Police Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Willingness to participate in mandated training to be completed before or shortly after commencement of work including:
- AODA Training
- Health & Safety Awareness Training
- Bill 168 (Violence & Harassment in the Workplace) Training
- PCI Compliance
- Child Protection Training
Why work for us:
At the YMCA of Simcoe Muskoka, we believe in creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all members and staff. As an Outdoor Education Program Facilitator you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of our participants and the community as a whole. You will work alongside a supportive team of individuals who are committed to our mission of building healthy communities.
- Paid sick time
- YMCA Health and Fitness membership
We offer ongoing training and development opportunities to help you grow professionally and personally. If you’re looking for a challenging and rewarding career, working with a diverse team where your own ideas will be heard, then the YMCA of Simcoe Muskoka is the perfect place for you.
At the YMCA we believe in the power of community and the potential of every individual. With a rich history spanning over a century, we have been dedicated to nurturing the physical, mental, and social well-being of people across the globe. We are more than just a gym or a recreation center; we are a movement that empowers individuals to reach their full potential while connecting communities in a vibrant and positive way. By joining our team, you will become part of an organization that is committed to strengthening communities and improving lives.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is a registered charity committed to fostering healthy communities by empowering children, youth, and families, promoting well-being, and encouraging social responsibility. The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka successfully raises over $1 million each year through strategic campaigns.
Our YMCA employs over 1,000 staff and hundreds of volunteers who serve tens of thousands of individuals each year in various programs such as childcare, camps, health and fitness, leadership development, employment and literacy, immigrant services, and youth programming. We offer over $1 million in financial assistance annually to ensure accessibility for those who cannot afford to participate.
Applications will remain open until Monday, November 20, 2023.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that successful candidates will be required to submit a current and satisfactory Police Record with Vulnerable Sector Screen and three professional references for review prior to starting employment.
ATTENTION JOB SEEKERS • The job description presented in this posting is solely that of the employer. The YMCA Employment Service is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of this information and does not accept any liability for the conduct and/or practices of employer.
To apply for this job please visit ymcaofsimcoemuskoka.ca.