Chartwell Tiffin Retirement Residence
Job Location: Ontario Retirement Platform
Reporting Relationship: Health and Wellness Manager
Complexity and Scope of the Position
Reports to the Health and Wellness Manager of the residence and provides professional nursing care to
residents in accordance with required medical care and established nursing care plans and practices.
Supervises the activities and provides direction to the Guest Attendants/Health Care Aides/Personal
Support Workers. Assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for residents, visitors and other
staff members. All duties are performed in the best interest of the residents and their families, and in
accordance with Chartwell’s vision, mission and values statements.
– Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates individualized care to meet the residents’ physical and emotional needs. Ensures resident care plan is initiated in collaboration with other members of the multidisciplinary team.
– Communicates with family members regarding the care and condition of respective residents (as required).
– In conjunction with the Health and Wellness Manager, participates in discharge planning, consultation, and/or transfer of residents.
– Provides direct resident care and participates in resident teaching (as required).
– Encourages residents to actively participate in all therapy programs and recreational activities.
– Assists in the development and maintenance of an appropriate plan of care for each resident.
– Liaises with attending physicians, psychiatrists, consultants, social workers, clergy, family members or responsible persons, nursing, dietary, activity staff, etc. to ensure effective resident care needs are met.
– Responds to resident or family member concerns and ensures appropriate action is taken within decision-making authority and/or brings to the attention of the Health and Wellness Manager.
– Assists with setting standards of resident care for the residence.
– Participates as a member of the work team and provides support to other team members.
– Assists with setting goals and annual objectives for the residence.
– Assigns personal care staff according to facility policy.
– Delegates clinical responsibilities to appropriately qualified staff. Supports residence policies and procedures.
– Participates in the hiring, performance review and disciplinary process of staff up to and including termination.
– Delegates responsibilities to non-registered nursing staff in accordance with their job description and Chartwell policies.
– May have supervisory responsibilities.
Marketing & Occupancy:
– Represents the residence at appropriate community and professional meetings. Attends workshops, in-service sessions and other scheduled meetings as authorized by the Health and Wellness Manager.
– Provides assistance as required to enhance the volunteer and public relations programs.
– Effectively communicates and interacts with residents, family members, visitors and volunteers in a courteous and professional manner.
– As a supervisor, ensures that all work performed is conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Chartwell policies and procedures including Occupational Health and Safety procedures.
– Works safely to reduce the risk of injury to self, other staff members and residents. Promptly reports all actual or potentially hazardous situations. Observes all fire and safety rules.
– Ensures the maintenance of a clean working environment.
– Conducts duties in accordance with Chartwell policies and procedures, as well as, government regulations, laws and policies.
– Maintains confidentiality of residents’ personal information.
Operational & Administrative Systems:
– Develops the residence’s statement of purpose and a description of the functions of the residence.
– Develops and implements policies and procedures for the unit (in collaboration with the Health and Wellness Manager).
– Co-ordinates nursing services with other services in the residence. Liaises with medical services, other professional services and external agencies.
– Supervises and assists non-professional staff. Participates in shift report, records significant changes in residents’ condition, care plan and changes in physician’s orders. Reviews residents’ charts, ensuring that all requirements are promptly acted upon. Notifies physicians of change in residents’ condition (as required).
– Provides first aid to staff members when necessary and completes Employee Incident Reports.
– Ensures all medications required by residents are received on the unit. Administers medications including all injections and narcotics.
– Participates in the orientation, on-the-job training and in-servicing of nursing staff as required.
– Requisitions and receives supplies as required.
– Participates in Quality Assurance and Continuous Quality Improvement activities.
– Assists in developing and revising position descriptions for each classification on the unit.
– Ensures representation of staff on committees which affect the service.
– Assists the Health and Wellness Manager in ensuring the efficient and meaningful conduct of regularly scheduled Resident Care Conferences.
– Performs other related duties as required.
– A sound knowledge and background in geriatric, rehabilitation or long term care nursing including activation, nursing and personnel administration.
– Knowledge of the appropriate sections of the Health Disciplines Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Pharmacy Act, Food and Drugs Act (Canada), Narcotic Control Act (Canada) and other pertinent Federal, Provincial and Municipal Statutes which influence the operation of the retirement residence and more specifically the nursing department.
– All Registered Nurses and Registered Practical Nurses (RPN) who provide care to residents in the facility shall have a current certificate of competence with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
– All RPN staff who will be administering medications to residents shall have completed the following:
– A RPN Nursing program which contains a Medication Administration course as part of the core program.
– A RPN Medication Administration Certificate program provided in Ontario since 1985 or;
– A Medication Administration Certificate course provided out of province and which has been evaluated by the residence’s Health and Wellness Manager to determine if the content is equivalent to the course content offered in the Ontario Community College Registered Practical Nurse Medication Administration Certificate program.
Skills & Abilities:
– Must be mature and possess good communication (verbal and written), leadership and interpersonal skills.
– Must be in good physical and mental health.
– Must be knowledgeable about the nursing process as well as developments and trends in the geriatric care field.
– Work is of an active nature involving periods of prolonged standing and working.
– Work involves periods of substantial bending, carrying, and lifting associated with resident-care activities.
– There is a risk of infections and contamination through clinical activities (e.g. giving injections, IV therapy set-up and aggressive resident behaviors).
– Consistent mental stress is associated with the performance of work due to strict adherence to schedules, organizing information, and interaction with residents, staff, and the general public.
– Must be prepared to respond to emergency situations.
– Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Persons Check
Start Date: ASAP
Salary: $23 per hour
How to apply: send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org; contact: Michelle Denis
Job Site Location:
Ontario Retirement Platform
ATTENTION JOB SEEKERS • The job description presented in this posting is solely that of the employer. The YMCA Employment Service is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of this information and does not accept any liability for the conduct and/or practices of employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com