Website Town of Parry Sound
Located amidst the 30,000 islands of Georgian Bay and a 2.5-hour drive north of Toronto, the Town of Parry Sound offers an exceptional quality of life. Join our team in the Payroll & Internal Customer Care Clerk position, an important finance department member.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting directly to the Deputy Treasurer/Manager of Accountings, the Payroll & Internal Customer Care Clerk is responsible for performing a variety of payroll, bookkeeping, clerical, and administrative services in support of the day-to-day finance operations of the Corporation and its services to the public.
1. Inputs and processes payroll biweekly, ensuring that remuneration and deductions comply with legislation (ie. ESA, CPP, EI, WSIB, OMERS, etc.), Town policy and Collective Agreement provisions; edits various payroll source documents prior to computer input to ensure accuracy and completeness; prepares and enters payroll adjustments including retroactive payments, time bank adjustments, vacation pay etc., ensuring that proper authorization is provided; prepare payslips for distribution; calculates and remits garnishments, union dues, OMERS, and RRSP deductions;
2. Prepares T4s, T4As including adjustments, tax exemptions, non-taxable benefits and WSIB; reconciles remittances for CRA and Employer health tax;
3. Prepares monthly and annual payroll/benefits reports, reconciliations and summaries; submits to OMERS, EI, Statistics Canada, Canada Life and/or other agencies as required;
4. Processes final payouts and issues record of employment;
5. Generates and updates employee personnel files, including ensuring payroll related documentation from employees is completed (i.e. TD1, Canada Life, OMERS etc.);
6. Responds to enquiries from and/or liaises with individual employees, HR, other departments/levels of government, agencies, bank etc. with respect to payroll matters, including form completion and filing of WSIB claim forms as a Type 2 Employer;
7. Maintains records for the employee recognition program and makes arrangements for awards; posts annual vacation schedules; files payroll related documents;
8. Makes daily bank deposits;
9. Undertakes bank reconciliations;
10. Prepares and sends outgoing mail;
11. Assists with records management function;
12. Performs as back-up personnel for the Accounts Payable function;
13. Performs as alternate back-up personnel to the Receptionist/Cashier for receptionist and cashier functions
14. Coordinates staff functions as directed; including responsibility for logistics, catering.
Performs such other related duties within the general parameters of this job description, as may reasonably be requested by the Deputy Treasurer/Manager of Accounting which may be amended from time to time.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills:
1. Completion of at least one year post secondary training in bookkeeping or accounting; and equivalent of one year of courses to achieve Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification.
2. Over one year of experience (but not more than three) is necessary for the incumbent to practice and become familiar with all aspects of the job, including those which happen only once annually (such as year-end processes), or infrequently.
3. Good organizational skills, initiative, and ability to perform tasks without close supervision.
4. High level clerical skills; good knowledge of office practice.
5. Good knowledge of accounting, word processing and computer applications.
6. Basic knowledge of the legislation, policies and programs that affect municipal government and payroll compliance.
7. Excellent interpersonal skills, including an appreciation of the need for tact, confidentiality, and a positive, cheerful and informed approach with the public.
8. Must be bondable.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
This is a full-time temporary (12-month contract) unionized opportunity with a 2022 starting wage of $26.00. Subject to a 6-month probationary period, the wage rises to the job rate of $28.58.
The Town of Parry Sound is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the Town of Parry Sound Recruitment Policy. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume in the following ways:
Email: In one document, your resume and cover letter, under the subject line “[your name – Payroll & Internal Customer Care Clerk” to
Suzanne Diller, Manager of Accounting & Deputy Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail or Drop-Off: Attention Human Resources
52 Seguin Street, Parry Sound, ON P2A 1B4
We thank all applicants for their interest. We will contact those applicants selected for an interview.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com