- Full Time
- Parry Sound — Parry Sound and area
- Closing date: May 26, 2022
Canadian Mental Health Association, Muskoka Parry Sound
Peer Support Worker- Road to Recovery Home
Full Job Description
Hours of Work: 28 hours per week
Job Status: Contract until September 30th, 2022
Base office: Parry Sound – Road to Recovery Home
Competition #: 8-22
The Road to Recovery home provides in-house peer support in a congregate living model. The program focuses on securing a safe environment for consumers whose recovery would benefit from community integration. The goal of the Road to Recovery home is to enhance choice by increasing options for supportive housing, thereby enabling health recovery, community integration and tenure, and an increase in quality of life.
Purpose of the Position: The Peer Support worker will work along-side a team to encourage and support consumers to learn and apply the life skills necessary to facilitate recovery, community integration and improve quality of life. The work schedule will include rotating shifts, weekends, and statutory holidays.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience in providing peer support to individuals with lived mental health and/or substance use issues
- Experience coordinating and facilitating social recreational activities is considered an asset.
- Must be able to work professionally, autonomously, collaboratively and respectfully within a team environment.
- Demonstrated team-building skills
- Capable of speaking in groups and presenting to an audience is considered an asset.
- Ability to demonstrate empathy and compassion of the ideas, beliefs and feelings of others.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate conflict resolution skills.
- Resilient, flexible and adaptable during high-risk situations
- Prepared to work autonomously and cooperatively within a team.
- Contributes to team morale
- Capacity to handle a heavy workload, including rotating weekend, evening, and statutory holiday shifts.
Education and Qualifications:
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
- Certification with Ontario Peer Development Initiative or willingness to acquire certification.
- Minimum one (1) year personal experience in the mental health addiction system as a consumer/survivor or family member.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as cooperatively within a team environment in a rural setting
- Excellent communication, organization and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, the Internet, and data management software
- A willingness to serve clients within the communities of the District of Muskoka and Parry Sound
- A valid Ontario G or G2 driver’s license, a safe and reliable means of transportation, and appropriate insurance for work purposes on your vehicle with a minimum of $1,000,000 in liability coverage.
- Bilingual in French/English language considered an asset
- Work schedule may include days/evenings/weekends and statutory holidays.
Salary scale: $20.45 – $23.09 per hour commensurate with qualifications and experience
Benefits include: Optional enrollment in a Registered Retirement plan with HOOPP where contributions start on date of hire.
Please note that we are a scent-free organization.
You are invited to submit your application by quoting competition number 8-22 to:
The Hiring Committee
Canadian Mental Health Association, Muskoka-Parry Sound Branch
173-202 Manitoba Street
Bracebridge, Ontario P1L 1S3
Telephone (705) 645-2262 Fax (705) 645-7473 Website: https://mps.cmha.ca/get-involved/careers/
Please note: CMHAMPS is committed to achieving 100% compliance with its COVID-19 Vaccine Policy.
Eligibility for new employment with the CMHAMPS is full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment or documentation of accommodation obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code or a medical exemption from a primary care or specialist health care provider resulting in a non-vaccination status.
To be considered fully vaccinated, an individual must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine, or a combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by the World Health Organization (e.g. two doses of a two-dose vaccine series or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series) and received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to commencement of employment.
Canadian Mental Health Association Muskoka – Parry Sound (CMHAMPS) is an equal opportunity employer and we value the importance of diversity, dignity and worth of every individual in the workplace.
Qualified consumers/survivors and/or family members are encouraged to apply
We retain all applications submitted for one year after the closing date of this posting for consideration in any future postings.
As part of our commitment to Accessibility, if you wish this information in a different format, please contact our office at 705-645-2262.
If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please let us know prior to the interview if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 5 months
Salary: $20.45-$23.09 per hour
ATTENTION JOB SEEKERS • The job description presented in this posting is solely that of the employer. The YMCA Employment Service is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of this information and does not accept any liability for the conduct and/or practices of employer.
To apply for this job please visit mps.cmha.ca.