Website LOFT Community Services
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance abuse, poverty and homelessness. Serving over 5300 people and providing 1654 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
The Personal Support Worker provides assistance to address the physical, cognitive, mental health and addiction needs of psycho geriatric clients living within the Orillia Assisted Living Program. This consists of providing individual support with the personal activities of daily living to facilitate a normalized lifestyle for the client and to assist them in gaining the skills required to live within the supportive housing program and be part of the larger community. Staff are also expected to adhere to a recreational and social program of physical and leisure activities for the clients which promotes social interaction and enhances their well being and cognitive function. There will be an expectation to actively contribute to the program’s staff team and to adhere to the established routines or protocols of the program including emergency, security, medication, fire and general health and safety practices.
*Note: All positions may be required to work days, evening, overnights and weekend shifts as we are a 24hour supportive housing assisted living site. Staff will be required to work in residents’ rooms and may therefore be exposed to second hand smoke. In addition, a satisfactory vulnerable sector check (VSC) is a requirement of employment.*
- Completion of a post secondary education in Human Services (i.e. Personal Support Worker Certificate, Registered Practical Nurse Certificate).
- Experience with vulnerable, older adults and seniors with serious mental illness, cognitive and addiction challenges who have been longer term hospital patients.
- Knowledge and proven experience working with clients in a PSR (Psychosocial Rehabilitation) approach.
- Ability to organize and work with individuals and groups in the areas of assessment, problem solving and crisis management.
- Ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner.
- Physically able to perform demanding body mechanics (i.e. lifting, transferring, etc.)
- First Aid and CPR certification.
- Good oral and written skills
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Will need full access to a vehicle to travel, the ability to drive the program van.
- Ability to communicate in a different language, an asset.
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework.
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset.
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources, Email: email@example.com
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Requested accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 979-1994.
We welcome and encourage people from equity-deserving communities and intersecting identities to apply for this position.
PLEASE INCLUDE: “PSW – Orillia” in the subject line of any emails.
CLOSING DATE: UNTIL FILLED
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com