Local Job Postings
Join Our Team
Location: Gravenhurst Health, Fitness, and Aquatics Centre
Department: Child, Youth & Aquatics
Placement: Part-Time, Full-Time, Days, Evenings & Weekends Available
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka currently serves over 125,000 people in Simcoe County and the Districts of Muskoka and Parry Sound in Central Ontario. The YMCA is one of the largest charities within our service area, providing over $1.1 million annually of support and access to our programs and services.
With a staff complement of 1200+ full and part-time staff, combined with over 1,000 volunteers and donors, and an operating budget of $39 million, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka serves over 30,000 annual members and participants through its eight membership centres in Barrie, Collingwood, Gravenhurst, Innisfil, Midland, Orillia, Parry Sound, and Wasaga Beach; 3,000 Child Care families across a number of communities; registers 5,000 day campers in addition to 1500 overnight campers at YMCA Camp Kitchikewana on Beausoleil Island; over 15,000 people through leadership development, outdoor education and family programs at YMCA Geneva Park; and counsels over 20,000 people in several community development programs.
As our Mission Statement affirms, “My Y is dedicated to the growth of all persons in spirit, mind and body, and to their sense of belonging to each other and the global community.” Our Vision for the future is “My Y inspires people to reach their full potential.”
Reporting to Child, Youth & Aquatic Supervisor the Lifeguard/Swim Instructor will assist, as a member of the department staff team, in ensuring service excellence in all Aquatic Program spaces and will assist in the safe operation of these programs and spaces; ensuring the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka regulations, National YMCA standards, Provincial Standards (health regulation) and SAM expectations are met.
The Lifeguard/Swim Instructor will give direct leadership to programs and services that include maintaining a safe aquatic environment at all times, educating the public regarding safe swimming habits and providing progressive swimming instruction in the YMCA aquatic system. Direct instruction and leadership in Family and Adult programming may also be included.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka.
- Provides instructional swimming lessons to various age groups following established curriculum.
YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
- Plan, organize and implement core lesson plans/daily lesson plans, progress reports and evaluations.
- Maintain accurate, up to date progress sheets and records for participants; keep Daily Log up to date and accurate.
- Set up and take down recreational, program and other equipment as required – at the same time checking that equipment is safe and in good repair (reporting immediately all malfunctions and removing the damaged equipment immediately from circulation).
- Complete a safety check of lifesaving equipment prior to each shift. Assist staff team in some cleaning duties related to pool and equipment.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association.
- Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Adherence to all provincial and federal legislation relevant to job description.
- Other duties as assigned.
- National Lifeguard Program Award
- Standard First Aid & CPR “C”
- YMCA and/or Red Cross / Swim Instructor certification
- YMCA Aquatic Fitness Certification or equivalent an asset
- Current WHMIS certification an asset
- One to three months of previous experience in lifeguarding and swim instruction an asset
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Flexibility regarding assigned hours of work, including early mornings, days, evenings and weekends
- Child Protection orientation
- AODA training
- Health & Safety Awareness training
- Bill 168 (Violence & Harassment in the Workplace) training
- PCI Compliance
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on client needs
- Clear Police reference Check & Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Mandated training is required before or shortly after commencement of work
Qualified candidates who wish to be considered are invited to send a resume and cover letter to:
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources department.