Settlement Workers in
Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS) Program
The Settlement Worker in Schools (SWIS) program can provide service for new Canadian children and youth throughout all local schools in the County of Simcoe. The main objective of the program is to assist the child, youth and family to integrate into their school and community.
What is the SWIS Program?
During COVID restrictions in schools, the program will be available for school-aged children and youth virtually and in-person in community settings such as the YMCA.
The SWIS worker will:
- Help students and their families adjust to the new school system and community
- Organize group information sessions, workshops and support cultural awareness activities
- Help in translation during Parent-Teacher Interviews
- Run Newcomer Orientation Week for newcomer high school students
- Support families to join parent councils and other similar activities at the school
- Continue to provide support to students and families throughout the school summer break
Parent(s) of elementary or high school students, children and youth in elementary and high schools or the school staff are welcome to contact a SWIS worker for services.
To make a referral please fill out the form below, contact us, or use the link to download the one-page referral form:
Jennifer Hickling: SWIS- Program Coordinator
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org