How do we make each day count with active living? With both adults and children, little changes in our lifestyle and habits make a big difference over time. Brooke Klein-Gebbinck, Supervisor of Child, Youth and Aquatics at the Midland YMCA, gets to see firsthand the benefits of active play.
Get active with the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
Brooke suggests gradually adding an activity into your daily routines. Start slowly and build up. Ask your kids for ideas on how your family CAN be more active. The following ideas may help get you thinking:
- Limit “screen time” – turn off the TV or computer and go for a family walk.
- Take the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator.
- Get up during television commercials and do something active, i.e. march on the spot, dance, walk up and down the stairs…skip…
- Plan a weekly adventure in your neighbourhood: go for a hike or walk in one of the parks, or bike or walk on a street or a part of your neighbourhood you don’t know well.
- Sign the kids up for swim lessons or another activity of their choice at your local YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
It’s the little things that make a difference over time – the benefits of even small lifestyle changes can be huge. According to Health Canada, benefits of being active include:
- Better overall health
- Healthy body weight
- More energy
- Feeling and looking better
- Stronger bones and muscles
Let the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka be your partner in Health
Our eight Health and Wellness Centres offer active programs, support services and healthy opportunities to assist you in opening the door to healthy living.
How do your kids keep healthy?
We want to hear your tips on how you keep your kids healthy and happy! Leave a comment below!