Board of Directors
Board of Directors
Successful and committed charities require an equally successful and committed board of directors. The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka has fourteen unique, committed and remarkable people, all volunteers, drawn from the communities we serve. Each work to ensure our Y fulfills its mission and achieves its work for our constituent communities and for the region of Simcoe Muskoka.
The YMCA is a leading charitable organization governed by a Board of Directors consisting of 16 individuals who represent Simcoe County and the Districts of Parry Sound and Muskoka. With 1200 full and part-time staff and 700 community volunteers, the YMCA annually engages over 150,000 children, youth, adults, and families through a variety of programs and services.
As a volunteer board, the directors determine the vision and strategy for the organization, set policy as well as provide guidance and direction for our Association’s CEO Rob Armstrong.
Expectations of the Board of Directors and Committee members include:
- Shared values of the YMCA
- Willingness to work in a team environment
- Attending approximately six board meetings per year (2 1/2 hours each)
- Playing an active role on a board committee (1-2 hours month)
- Support our annual giving campaign
The following are our Board Member Expectations:
- Support the Association’s mission, vision, values, programs and goals;
- Maintain confidentiality of the board sessions and all information shared;
- Not to speak on the organization’s behalf unless authorized to do so;
- Attend a minimum of 75% board meetings, which are generally held the last Wednesday of the month, beginning at 6PM. The board may choose to hold meetings at other times other than that noted above;
- Prepare for and participate in board meetings, and understand the information provided in order to support substantive discussion and sound decision making to help the board fulfill its fiduciary responsibility;
- Disclose any possible conflicts to the board in a timely fashion;
- To attend the Annual General Meeting;
- Participate in a minimum of one board committee and organizational activities as able;
- New board members must participate in scheduled orientation activities which may also include attending a minimum of one meeting of all committees to develop a base level understanding of the organization;
- To participate in the annual board retreat (only if deemed necessary by the Board Chair and CEO) which normally takes place on a Friday evening ending on Saturday afternoon;
- To fully support the YMCA’s Philanthropic goals by contributing to annual and capital campaigns based on capacity to give, and to assist in acquiring other community donations (“give and get”);
- Suggest possible nominees to the board who can make a significant contribution to the organization;
- Provide a current clear police reference check and vulnerable sector screening.
This year our Board Development & Governance Committee is seeking community leaders, innovators, influencers and youth to help drive our Vision 2020 Strategic Plan outcomes. Our focus on individuals with backgrounds in health care, education, social services, governance in the nonprofit sector, technology and/or expertise in transformation and amalgamation.